How and what to feed sea buckthorn in summer: a guide for beginner gardeners
Sea buckthorn is one of the most hardy and unpretentious plants, so its cultivation usually does not cause any particular difficulties. Even novice gardeners can do this. But for the regular obtaining of a high-quality and abundant harvest, the plant needs care. The main factor affecting the number of fruits is fertilization. How to feed sea buckthorn in the summer - read our article.
The content of the article
- Features of summer sea buckthorn dressing
- How to feed sea buckthorn in summer
- Frequency and volume of dressings
- How to properly feed sea buckthorn
- Experienced gardening tips
Features of summer sea buckthorn dressing
Summer feeding sea buckthorn important for a rich harvest. At this time, the tree is actively vegetating and bearing fruit.
Fertilizers in the summer are applied during the formation of berries, so that they ripen faster, be larger and tastier.
Also, feeding is carried out after harvesting. This will help the exhausted tree to recover before the cold weather.
What does the plant need in the summer
Sea buckthorn is not very demanding on the fertility of the earth... It improves the soil itself, since the roots of this plant contain nitrogen-fixing nodule bacteria that absorb nitrogen from the atmosphere. On fertilized soils in the first year, sea buckthorn is not fed.
Adult plants are fertilized with potassium and phosphorus during the development of the ovaries. To prepare a solution of 1 tbsp. l. potassium sulfate, 2 tsp. the drug "Uniflor Micro" and 2 tbsp. l. superphosphate is diluted in a bucket of water. This is a portion for one tree.
Fruiting plants are fed by the foliar method. For the first time, fertilize with a urea solution in early June. To do this, bred 1 tbsp. l. means in 10 liters of water. Some gardeners use Rossa liquid fertilizer instead of urea. The dosage is the same.
The second feeding is carried out using potassium humate. To do this, 10 ml of fertilizer is diluted in 10 liters of water.
If young plants are weakened, 2 more foliar dressings are additionally performed. The first time it is sprayed 20-30 days before harvesting, the second time after harvesting. To do this, use potassium humate or Effekton.
How to determine a lack of substances
Although sea buckthorn produces nitrogen, it can still sometimes lack it. Because of this, the process of photosynthesis is disrupted. Malfunctions in its work lead to yellowing of foliage.
Nitrogen deficiency usually occurs in cold and dry weather, when it is difficult for the plant to obtain nutrients from the soil.
But if the weather is warm, and the foliage still turns yellow, the sea buckthorn is fertilized with one of the following solutions:
- 20 g of ammonium nitrate per bucket of water;
- 120 g of urea per bucket of water.
These funds are used for watering, but some gardeners also spray the plant. For this, 30 g of urea is diluted in 10 liters of water.
In addition to nitrogen, potassium is important for sea buckthorn. The main signs of a deficiency of this substance:
- The leaves become lethargic, lose turgor, and the thickness of the cell walls decreases.
- The edges of the leaves turn yellow. After complete death of tissues, they turn brown or brown, and the main part of the leaf is dark green.
Consequences of potassium deficiency in sea buckthorn:
- The tree tolerates frost worse.
- Many ovaries are formed, but most of them are empty. The plant bears few fruits, they are all small.
- The growth of new shoots is significantly slowed down.
- The tree becomes vulnerable to fungal diseases.
At the first signs of potassium deficiency, top dressing is immediately performed.To do this, use manure (1 kg per 1 sq. M.) And potash fertilizers (1 kg per 100 sq. M.).
How to feed sea buckthorn in summer
The summer growing season is due to the rapid growth of side shoots.
Also at this time, fruits are formed, so the plant requires regular feeding.
Mineral fertilizers are applied to plants from the age of 3. Ammonium nitrate is scattered around the trunk and on the site at the rate of 20 g per 1 sq. m. Then it is sprinkled with earth a little.
After 2 weeks, foliar feeding is carried out. For this, potassium humate is used. 30 ml of the product is diluted in 1 bucket of water.
To fertilize sea buckthorn, a mixture of the following components is used:
- 1 bucket of humus;
- 400 g of crushed eggshell;
- 1/3 bucket of sand.
This mixture is scattered within a radius of 1 m from the tree trunk. Rake everything evenly. For 1 plant, 2 buckets of such a mixture are consumed.
Important! Organic fertilizers contain a large amount of nitrogen. An excess of this component leads to burns of the root system and deformation of the trunk, so organic matter is introduced very carefully.
In the first year after landing some gardeners use regular yeast as a growth promoter. They are very nutritious and have a beneficial effect on the soil microflora, preventing the development of pathogens.
Yeast is used not only for sea buckthorn, but also for many other plants.
To prepare top dressing you will need:
- 1 kg of compressed yeast;
- 5 liters of warm water.
The yeast is dissolved in warm water and infused for 30 minutes. After that, the product is diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 10. Watering the sea buckthorn with yeast feeding helps to build up the root system and the green part of the plant.
Wood ash contains a large amount of potassium, phosphorus and other elements that sea buckthorn requires. To prepare the fertilizer, 400 g of ash is diluted in a bucket of water and poured over the tree with this agent. Also, some gardeners scatter it around the trunk at the rate of 400 g per 1 sq. m. As precipitation falls, ash will penetrate deep into the soil.
A good home fertilizer is made from weeds and other plant waste that is flooded with plenty of water. This requires a suitable container, such as a barrel or an old tub. After a month of infusion, plants are watered with this water.
Frequency and volume of dressings
During the summer, sea buckthorn is fed 3 times. If the tree is weakened, the number of procedures is increased.
Young plants are most often not fertilized. Top dressing begins at the age of 3.
Possible fertilization schemes
Fertilization schemes for sea buckthorn:
- In the early years after landing plants are usually not fed. But if the seedling is weak, mineral fertilizers containing potassium and phosphorus are applied.
- If the tree is already bearing fruit, it is fertilized 3 times during the summer season. For the first time, top dressing is applied to the ground. The rest of the procedures are carried out in a foliar way. At the same time, a minimum period of 2 weeks is observed.
- If there are signs of a deficiency of any element, fertilizers with the missing component are added in addition to the main dressings. In this case, the number of procedures is increased up to 5 times over the summer.
How to properly feed sea buckthorn
Sea buckthorn is fed in different ways. The choice depends on the growing season.
There are two main methods of fertilization that are used to feed garden trees:
- Barrel. The finished composition (liquid or in granules) is evenly distributed around the trunk within a radius of 1 m. If the product is in granules, then they are then sprinkled with earth a little.
- Foliar. The leaves are sprayed with ready-made compounds. This method of fertilizing more effectively saturates the plants.
Mistakes to Avoid
The most common mistakes that beginners make when feeding sea buckthorn:
- Wrong doses.If you don't fertilize enough, there will be little point in feeding. An excess of trace elements damages the root system.
- Use of expired fertilizers.
- Uneven distribution.
- Wrong choice of fertilizer.
Experienced gardening tips
When caring for sea buckthorn, it is important to adhere to the recommendations of experienced gardeners:
- Apply fertilizers in the evening.
- When using the foliar feeding method, choose a calm day.
- With the near-stem application, wait for dry weather.
- Apply nitrogen-containing mineral fertilizers and organic matter with care, since the root system of the sea buckthorn itself releases nitrogen.
For good growth and fruiting, sea buckthorn requires summer feeding, which is produced in several stages.
The procedures differ in the methods of application, types and amounts of fertilizers. It is important to provide the plant with sufficient potassium and phosphorus. Then the tree will yield a great harvest.